Monday, November 13, 2006

The running bug has bit me


I'm a casual runner. I've always enjoyed short-distance running but had difficulty finding the time.

Last week I decided to buy the Nike+ package for my Ipod Nano. FedEx delivered my Nike+ today and I couldn't wait for my Nike+ shoes to arrive, so I dropped the sensor into my Adidas shoes and went for a run.

My first run with Nike+ was fun I couldn't wait to upload my data to see what happens. Sure enough, iTunes and Nike+ worked together seamlessly, as advertised. Within seconds, I saw the stats presented in a visual form: 1.87 miles, time 14'15" and pace 7.37 minutes/mile. That ranked me 57,325th overall on Nike+.

I figured those stats were too generous, I started reading the Nike+ forums and realized that I needed to calibrate the system. I went down to the basement and calibrated Nike+ based on my treadmill (for both walking and running). I completed 2 more runs. The stats were surprisingly close to the treadmill's numbers. Stats for the 4th run of the day: distance: 1.09 miles, time: 13'10", pace: 12'04" min/mile, calories: 151. That's more like it :)

Anyhow, I hope this is the beginning of an exciting, fun and long-term running hobby.

Miles Completed today (4 runs)
Today: 4.59
Total: 4.59

Overall Nike+ rank: 49,937

No comments: